We have a time-honored tradition at Sari Bari of remembering the day a woman chose the long, hard path to freedom. This is called her "Mukti" or freedom birthday. We start celebrating on a woman's first day of training with a cake and a happy birthday song to send her down the path as she takes her first steps toward freedom. And we love to mark the day each year with the women as they mark their freedom journey with more love, cake, reflection, and time spent together. William Barclay once said,
“There are two great days in a person’s life-the day we are born, and the day we discover why.”
A freedom birthday is not the day a woman is born, but the day she is takes her first steps toward a new future. This is new life in the making, this is Sari Bari at our core. We want to celebrate with you, too, and invite you to become a part of her freedom journey. When you donate your birthday to Sari Bari, you open the door to new life, a new journey, and hopefully- a new freedom birthday to rejoice.
You may be wondering “How do I donate my birthday on Facebook?” Keep reading for a step-by-step tutorial.
1) Go to your Facebook account (or create one here!)
2) Go to your 'home' page, and look on the left side column. You should see the 'fundraiser' option under "Create" at the bottom. Click on "fundraiser" and Facebook will walk you through.
3) Pick your charity (like Sari Bari Fort Wayne for example)
4) Set your fundraising goal and time-frame. We've seen many successful fundraisers at $100 or even $1000 or more! Set something that you feel good about and see where it goes! You can always raise the amount if you particularly like to challenge your friends.
5) Facebook connects us with our parents, cousins, neighbors, friends, and more. A simple $10 donation from your aunt can help Sari Bari assist women with paying for one month of education for her child. A $20 donation from a friend can provide one woman with medical tests not covered by insurance, nutritional support, financial supplement for missed time at work, and a monthly regimen of vitamins.
6) Thank people as they donate and watch numbers go up! Seriously, these people are donating to Sari Bari because of YOU - because they love you, they appreciate you, they think you're the best (and we do, too!).
7) Download our Sari Bari Birthday Kit for photos, infographics, and information all ready to use at your disposal.
That's it! You have the tools you need to #donateyourbirthday. On behalf of every woman at Sari Bari, thank you.