Sari Bari USA is closed for orders. Thank you for your amazing support!

 “My house was in Diamond Harbor. My parents were very poor, I was a poor man's daughter.” Aratan, an artisan at Sari Bari, says. “When I was 8 years old I stopped going to school. I studied until class (grade) three.” 

Did you know an estimated 35 million children between 6-14 years old do not attend school in India? More than 50 percent of girls fail to enroll in school; those that do are likely to drop out by the age of 12 (Smile Foundation India) Girls' educations are of little concern. Many women at Sari Bari only learn to write their names when they come here and sign their first paycheck. 


















There’s an ancient African proverb that says, “If we educate a boy, we educate one person. If we educate a girl, we educate a family- and a whole nation.” This is because by sending a GIRL to school, she is far more likely to ensure that her children are educated; that her family will succeed and educate and support the next generation. Aratan, like many mothers at Sari Bari, demonstrates this sentiment with her children.

“I am educating my children well. If I didn’t have this benefit, then I couldn’t educate my daughter. I have so many dreams for her. I want her to study more. I want to send her to higher education. I will put her in an English medium school so that she can have a better future. She’s in 7th grade. She plays basketball and is a very good player. She’s happy, she is studying well.”

The women of Sari Bari have big dreams for their children, and we are fiercely passionate about partnering with the women of Sari Bari so their children have every opportunity for a brighter future. Each woman contributes about 24% of their child’s annual expenses, while Sari Bari contributes the remaining 76% through donations and monthly supporters. Sending one child to school costs $12 per month. You can sign up for a monthly donation, or make a donation for one child for six months for $72, or one year for $144. Your donation allows children access to needed supplies like boarding fees, textbook fees, uniforms, shoes, and much more. 


Currently, 54 children receive a quality education thanks to their mothers and partners like you! Aratan has participated in the School Support Program for 12 years. She says, “I couldn’t have educated my daughter. When my son wanted to study more, I sent him to higher education. He finished college. There are more women and sisters in our community who joined this work. They also received this school benefit for their children’s education. They can support their futures.

We need partners that want to see women sending their children to school so that they can not only write their own name but write their own story. We need supporters that believe in the magic of books and want to partner with moms at Sari Bari so their children get to experience that wonder. We need advocates to help spread the word. Educate a child, and you can educate a nation. Become a part of changing a generation through education. 

 Add a donation to your cart                                                       Sign up for monthly giving